By Julius Mugaga Tukacungurwa/Umoja Standard.
BIOGRAPHY: Here is Hon. Amelia Anne Kyambadde, 67 a Ugandan Entrepreneur, Philanthropist, Politician, Eco-tourism enthusiast, Real Estate Developer, Trade Consultant and an advocate for the empowerment of women.
She served as Minister for Trade, Industry and Cooperatives (10 years) and a Member of Parliament for Mawokota North County (10 Years) from 2011 to 2021 now serving as the Senior Presidential Advisor on Industry to the President of the Republic of Uganda
How has she served over the years.
- Senior Presidential Advisor/ Industry. ( July 2021 – To date)
- Chairperson, Sub-Committee for Trade and Transport, National Taskforce on Covid-19. ( March 2020 – June 2021)
- Minister of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives. (March 2011 – June 2021)
- Member of Parliament, Mawokota North (March 2011 – May 2021)
- Chair – Forum for African Ministers of Trade, Africa Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA). (June 2018 – June 2019)
- Chief Negotiator of the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) (2018 – June 2019)
- Chair – Least Developed Countries, World Trade Organization (2014)
- Chair – Sectoral Council of Ministers of Trade – East Africa Community (2014 – 2015)
- Chairperson – Council of Ministers of Trade (COMESA) (2013 – 2014)
- National Treasurer, National Resistance Movement (NRM). (2010 – 2015)
- Chairperson, National Resistance Movement Party ( 2010 – 2015)
- Principal Private Secretary (Chef de staff) to H.E the President of the Republic of Uganda (2005 – 2010)
- Senior Private Secretary (Administration), State House Uganda. (2000 – 2004)
- Principal Personal Secretary to H.E the President of the Republic of Uganda. (1991 – 1999)
- Senior Personal Secretary to H.E the President of the Republic of Uganda (1986 – 1991)
- Worked in Sweden while living there as a Political refugee from 1981 – 1986.
- Joined Ugandan Civil Service as a Secretary to the Minister of Defence in 1979.
- Worked for Kulubya & Company Advocates as a Secretary in 1978.
Appearing at NTV’s Mwasuze Mutya morning show hosted by Faridah Nakazibwe, Hon. Amelia shared her interesting story that none believed after she took to her twitter handle.
In her words, she wrote;
gave me my first
job as his secretary & we began to work together. My father gave me advice abt it & tld me that he ddn’t support the idea of being involved in politics cz he blvd that once u enter politics in Africa u cnt gt yourself out
My husband bought me a car & it was stolen by the Tanzanians that were called “Bakombozi”. I was told that the only person who cld help me get it back was the then Minister
. Everyone advised me to give up but I insisted,I went ahead to meet him & he recovered it.